Trevor, Heidi, Kellen, Karson, & Korbin

Trevor, Heidi, Kellen, Karson, & Korbin

Monday, October 1, 2012

My muzzleloader deer hunt!

This year I drew out for the muzzle loader deer hunt. I enjoy going hunting, because I get to spend time with Trevor up in the mountains and its the ONLY time I can get Trevor to go for a hike with me in the mountains which is something I really loved to do. There is nothing better than standing at the top of a mountain looking at the beautiful mountains and lakes all around you, especially this time of year where all the leafes are changing color.
Tuesday Trevor and I took the boys over to Grandma and Grandpa Scow's house to spend the night and then we headed up to the cabin. We practiced shooting and went for a four wheel drive looking for deer until it got dark. The next morning we woke up at 5:30 a.m. and we were hiking up Candland mountain by 6:00 a.m. We hike all over that mountain. The whole day we heard elk bugling all around us. Trev had fun doing his cow calls. As we were heading back to the car we saw a two point, Trev ask me if I wanted to shoot it and I decided not to. When we were getting closer to the main road Trev spotted a buck he that he thought was a three point. It just stood there and staired at us so I decided to shoot it. When I shot it, it jumped and than tripped down the hill. Right after I shot my buck a nice four point came out looked and us and than walked away, we didn't even know it was there I was pretty mad at myself!!! Oh well maybe next time. We walked down to were I shot the deer and there was no blood so I was starting to think that I must have not hit it. We walked down the hill to go look for my deer Trev went one way and I went the other. As I was walking around a pine tree I saw antlers peaking out of the pine tree and sure enough there was my deer. It had crash right into the middle of a pine tree. Bullet right to the heart I was pretty excited! Than the work started....the part I do not like about hunting gutting the deer...yucky...Trev cut the deer in half right under the rib cage cause it was too heavy to drag down the mountain...he drug the top half and I literally drug the butt of that deer all the way to the car. I about died! I swear that butt weighed as much as I do! By the time we got to the car I had drug most of the hair off the deers butt. But I didn't care I was just glad I made it to the car alive!! It was a fun hunt and I am glad I got to go!
 
Me and my deer

 
I was so excited to show the boys my deer. They didn't think to much of it, they were having to much fun at Grandma's house! Trev says we look like a bunch of rednecks in this picture, because my deer is in the trunk of the car, but in our defense when a Ford Focus is the only vehicle you have that you can depend on you really don't have a choice! I do agree though its pretty funny!

1 comment: